As stated in the Residence Hall & Dining Services contract you signed, residents are expected to follow the Guidelines for Residential Living. In addition to the terms and conditions listed on your housing contract, this document is intended to help you understand the policies and procedures as a resident in the Student Living Center (SLC). Our goal in having these policies and procedures is to maintain a safe, productive, and communal atmosphere in the SLC. If you have questions, please feel free to contact your Resident Advisor (RA) or the Office of Residential Life.
The SLC Front Desk provides a number of items (e.g. vacuum cleaners, movies, games) for you to borrow. You are required to sign out the equipment and are expected to leave your ID at the SLC Front Desk while the equipment is in your possession. This service is available from 8:30am – 11:30pm.
At the end of the academic year, the Office of Residential Life publishes check-out procedures. To avoid unnecessary charges, it is important that you follow all guidelines. If you leave the SLC during a semester, please contact the Office of Residential Life for information about how to properly check-out. Residents who fail to follow the proper check-out procedures will not be able to contest damage charges, and will be fined for improper check-out ($50).
The SLC offers many common areas for you to use such as the Game Room, TV Lounge, Study Lounge, and floor lounges. In order to keep these areas open, it is important that the areas are respected (e.g. kept clean, free of vandalism). If you move furniture in these areas, you are expected to put the furniture back according to the furniture maps posted in these locations. Do not leave any personal items in bathrooms, lounges, or hallways.
In addition to the microwaves that can be found in most floor lounges, there is a kitchen provided to all residents in the basement of the SLC. The kitchen is open daily from 7:00am – 11:00pm. In order to keep the kitchen open, residents are responsible for adhering to the following guidelines:
- Only SLC residents may use this kitchen.
- Even if the door is unlocked, residents are only permitted to use this kitchen from 7:00am – 11:00pm.
- For health and safety reasons, we must keep this kitchen clean. Any items (food, pans, plates, etc.) that are left in the kitchen will be thrown away.
- Do not leave the stove or oven unattended when in use.
- Make sure the stove and oven are off before you leave the kitchen.
- Students who violate any kitchen policies are subject to student conduct charges.
You are responsible for providing your own cooking supplies (e.g. pots, plates, spoons). Please note that New York State fire codes severely restrict cooking in resident rooms.
Facilities Work Requests
If you would like to submit a work request for a facilities issue in your room and/or any common area of the SLC, you can call the Facilities Customer Service Hotline 24/7 at 585-273-4567. The only exception is that you should contact the Office of Residential Life if you would like to change the height of your bed.
If you would like to host an overnight guest, you must complete an online SLC Overnight Guest Registration at least two business days before your guest arrives. Guests include friends who do not attend the Eastman School of Music, as well as Eastman students who reside off-campus. Once your guest arrives, they will also have to sign in at the SLC Front Desk. Residents who violate the guest policy may have their guest privileges suspended.
You are responsible for your guest at all times, and must comply with the following guidelines:
- Guests must be at least 18 years old. Parents/guardians are not permitted as guests.
- Guests may not stay on an all-female floor if they are male.
- Guests must follow University policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Guests may only stay in the SLC for a maximum of 4 nights per month.
- Residents may only host guests for a maximum of 4 nights per month.
- Residents may only host 1 guest at a time.
- Residents must remain with their guest at all times.
- The resident’s roommate must consent to a guest being in the room.
Please note that if a visit overlaps two calendar months, the guest still may not stay more than 4 consecutive days. If you would like another SLC resident to spend the night in your room, you do not have to register this visit. This visit, however, is held to the same 4 night maximum as other guests.
Lost or broken ID issues are handled at the SLC Front Desk. If you lose your ID, it is important that you notify the SLC Front Desk staff and/or Public Safety as soon as possible. If your ID is broken, you will not be charged for a replacement. If you lose your ID, you will be responsible for paying for the replacement ($15).
Lost or broken key issues are handled through the SLC Front Desk. If you lose your key, it is important that you notify the Office of Residential Life and/or Public Safety as soon as possible. If your key is broken, you will not be charged for a replacement. If you lose your key, you will be responsible for paying for the replacement ($25 house key; $50 single room key; $75 double/triple room key).
The Laundry Room is located in the basement of the SLC. Laundry costs are covered within the annual room rate. Residents are responsible for providing their own laundry supplies (e.g. detergent, dryer sheets). Please make sure to remove all items from the Laundry Room as soon as you are done with your laundry. The Office of Residential Life is not responsible for lost or damaged items. Students who do not live in the SLC who are found using the Laundry Room are subject to disciplinary action and fines.
If you are locked out of your room, we are here to help you. Please contact one of the following staff members:
- 9:00am-4:00pm; Contact the SLC Front Desk
- 4:00pm-6:00pm; Contact Public Safety
- 6:00pm-8:00am; Contact the RA On-Call
- 8:00am-9:00am; Contact Public Safety
When the staff member arrives at your room, you will be required to show ID to prove that you are accessing your assigned room. Under no circumstances will you be given access to someone else’s room. Please remember to always make an effort to check for your keys before leaving your room.
Lost and Found
All lost and found items should be brought to the Eastman Box Office, as this is the central lost and found for the Eastman School of Music. The only exception is lost University keys and IDs. These items may be turned in to the SLC Front Desk.
Mail and Packages
The Package Room, which is located on the first floor of the SLC, is open Monday – Saturday from 5:30pm-7:30pm and 9:30pm-10:00pm. The Mail Room, which is also located on the first floor, is open 24/7.
- When you have mail sent to the SLC, please make sure to use your complete address. You should include your mailbox number, not your room number.
- Perishable packages (e.g. flowers, cakes) are at the SLC Front Desk. If you receive one of these packages, you will be notified by a staff member.
- The SLC Front Desk does not sell stamps, boxes, or any mailing supplies. Stamped envelopes and/or packages with prepaid labels can be mailed from the Information Window in the Main Hall.
- If you forget your mailbox combination, please stop by the SLC Front Desk with your ID for a reminder of your combination.
- It is important that you change your mailing address if you will be away from the SLC for long periods of time (e.g. summer break, if you take a Leave of Absence) and when you permanently move out of the SLC. At the end of the academic year, the Office of Residential Life will send you a form requesting your summer mailing/new permanent address. Please note that the Office of Residential Life forwards mail during summer break, but not during winter break as the office does not accept mail during this time.
Requests for reasonable accommodations on the basis of a disability for University owned housing and dining services are evaluated on a case by case basis. For more information, please see the University’s Non-Academic Accommodation Services page. To submit your request for a housing and/or dining accommodation, please complete the Accommodation Request Form.
The only pets permitted in the SLC are fish. Fish must be kept in an aquarium that is 5 gallons or smaller.
Practicing is not permitted in the SLC (this includes voice and guitar). Residents are permitted to use keyboards as long as they are used with headphones.
While we always encourage a respectful noise level for the sake of your fellow residents, the SLC does have specified quiet hours. Quiet Hours in the SLC are: Sunday – Thursday, 11:00pm – 8:00am; Friday & Saturday, 1:00am – 9:00am. Residents living on a 24-Hour Quiet Floor are expected to maintain a reasonable noise level at all times.
As a service to all of our residents, there is an RA on-call weeknights from 6:00pm – 8:00am, and 24/7 during the weekend. The RA is responsible for answering resident questions, assisting with lockouts, helping with emergencies, making rounds of the SLC, and enforcing policies.
Since we have a limited number of rooms in the SLC, and our building is usually at capacity, room changes are not always possible. If you have a concern about your room, the Office of Residential Life will work with you to find an appropriate solution. You may not change rooms without prior approval from the Office of Residential Life. Please do not wait to seek help. If you have concerns about your room, please speak with your RA.
You are responsible for cleaning your own room. At the beginning and end of the academic year, your RA will work with you to properly complete a Room Condition Form. Your room and furnishings must be left in the same condition at the end of the year as upon your arrival. If you damage or lose SLC property, you will usually be charged the full replacement costs, unless there is evidence of previous significant wear and tear to justify prorated charges. Labor charges may be assessed at regular or overtime rates depending on the repair. These same procedures apply to residents who switch rooms during the academic year. Common area damage or theft of SLC property that no one claims responsibility for is charged equally to all members of the involved living area.
If you are having issues with your roommate and/or hallmate(s), the first step is for you to speak with your RA. Your RA can provide you with guidance about how to properly address the concerns.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere in the SLC, the SLC courtyard, or within 20 feet of the main entrance to the building. Students found smoking are subject to disciplinary action and fines. Electronic cigarettes are also not permitted anywhere in the aforementioned areas.
The Office of Residential Life does not permit selling goods or services in the SLC for causes it does not directly sponsor. No solicitation by students or by outside companies is allowed in the SLC.
Sports in the Building
Since the courtyard is surrounded by glass windows, sports that could break the windows (e.g. baseball, basketball, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, volleyball) are not permitted. Residents are welcome to play with sporting equipment such as whiffle balls and Frisbees.
If you are interested in storing items in the SLC, you must register and pay to use storage. During scheduled move-in, move-out and break times, storage hours will be posted. If you want to access your items at other times, you must set up an appointment with your RA at least 24 hours in advance. Residents who fail to give at least 24 hours’ notice may not be able to access their items. Bike storage is also available through the Office of Residential Life.
Room and board payment does not cover winter break, early arrivals, or late departures since the SLC is closed at these times. You will not be permitted to be in your room during these times. Please take note of the important dates listed below, and arrange your travel plans accordingly. Exceptions to these dates will not be made based on travel plans.
- The Student Living Center will be closed for winter break from Sunday, December 18, 2016 @ 12:00pm through Friday, January 13, 2017 @ 9:00am.
- The Student Living Center will close for the summer, except for residents participating in the commencement ceremony, on Sunday, May 14, 2017 @ 12:00pm.
- Residents *participating in the commencement ceremony must vacate the Student Living Center by Monday, May 22, 2017 @ 12:00pm.
*Participating in commencement does not include being part of the viewing audience.