The ECMS faculty serves our colleagues in the broader music education field in two ways: We regularly hold events at Eastman which area public and private faculty are welcome to attend AND our faculty would be happy to confer with you or come to your school in person or via Skype. Many of these resources qualify for professional development hours for music educators, with certificates available upon request.
Faculty Development Opportunities at Eastman
Faculty Development Workshops
Each year, the ECMS sponsors free faculty development sessions at Eastman on Saturdays and invites music educators from across the region to join us at no cost. In recent years these sessions have included:
- Instrumental technique classes such as Percussion Day, Low Reeds Day, Class Guitar Day, Flute/Clarinet/Saxophone Day and many others.
- Academic sessions such as AP Theory Day and several sessions on Classical Improvisation have been and continue to be offered.
Please click here for specific upcoming opportunities for professional development.
Music Educator’s Wind Ensemble
Open to all area music educators, college music majors, private music teachers and related professionals. In some cases, there are openings for qualified community members. This ensemble rehearses and performs some contemporary wind literature as well as some classic repertoire. No fee for participation, but please register online. Please contact director, Bill Tiberio, with any questions (email).
Music Educator’s Jazz Ensemble
Open to all area music educators on a rotating basis, this big band meets periodically, performing at Eastman and around town. No fee for participation, but please contact director, Bill Tiberio, with any questions (email).
The Eastman School of Music, in conjunction with The Juilliard School and Ithaca College, host an Annual Upstate NY Music College Fair, typically in late October. Click here for details regarding the most current event.
Individual Career Counseling for Students and Families at ECMS
Please call the studio of Ruth Cahn to schedule an appointment: (585) 274-1419.
Faculty Development Opportunities at Your School
In-person visits: The faculty listed below are available for visits to your program at no cost to your school. These visits can take a variety of forms:
- Working directly with your students in person – specialized master class
- Sitting in on a rehearsal and suggesting ways your students can better contribute to their ensemble
- Working with you the teacher on a particular instrumental/vocal/academic issue
- Participation in career day with the guidance department
- Career lecture for your music students
Phone, email and Skype visits: The faculty listed below would be happy to discuss their areas of specialty with you via telephone, email or Skype at no cost.
- Working with you on a particular instrumental/vocal/academic issue
- Working directly with your students via Skype during a group lesson. Evaluate next steps and repertory
Please feel free to contact the following ECMS faculty members, we are eager to make connections with our colleagues in the field and to serve you and your students in any way we can:
Jazz Piano, Composition, History